Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Mystery of Marriage

I picked The Mystery of Marriage up at least ten years ago while on vacation in the mountains of Tennessee. I had never read anything by Mike Mason. The book was more of an afterthought in that the title was interesting and the price was discounted.

My general practice during mountain vacations is to buy enough books to provide reading material for six months. I scan them all when I get back to my cabin and pick one or two to begin immediately. Mason's book hooked me quickly and became something I literally had trouble putting down.

Maybe the most startling fact about Mystery is that Mike wrote the book BEFORE he married. Considering the content of the book, I find that amazing.

I've used this book in premarital counseling with every couple I've worked with over the last decade. The book is ideal for people about to get married. But don't let that idea hinder you if you've been married for a while. I was a good ten years into married life when I picked it up and I benefited immensely.

When I talk with couples I recommend they read at least one good book on marriage every year. I have no idea how many have actually taken me up on that suggestion. But if I could give every couple only one book, this would be the one.

No comments: